This is part of the formal proposal that makes up the third iteration of the Version 2.01 Upgrade process.
NB. Issues relating to Organisation and Activity Identifiers have been moved to a new section here.
The current standard has very few mandatory fields. The main reason for this is that in Version 1.01 all mandatory validation was done via the XML Schema, and it is very difficult using XML logic alone to apply such rules. Additional validation procedures have since been established to now propose that all activities under all circumstances should always contain:
Enforcing Order on the Schema
- The order in which elements are reported MUST follow the sequence dictated by the Schema.
- Schema cardinality rules are enforced.
- Order and occurrences for the Activity standard are here.
- Order and occurrences for the Organisation standard are here.
- for details and discussion go to http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/76669023-Enforcing-Order-on-the-Activity-Schema
- At least one occurrence of participating-org is MANDATORY
- For each occurrence of participating-org @role is MANDATORY
- For each occurrence of participating-org @ref or participating-org/narrative is MANDATORY
- for discussion go to http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/41047217-Modify-participating-org-Validation-and-guidance
- The title is MANDATORY
- It is recommended that the title contains a meaningful summary of the activity
- for discussion go to http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/41584666-Modify-title-validation-and-guidance
- The description is MANDATORY
- It is recommended that the description contains a meaningful description of the activity
- for discussion go to http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/41584706-Modify-description-validation-and-guidance
- At least one occurrence of activity-date is MANDATORY
- All activities MUST contain a start date: either planned or actual
- for discussion go to http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/41089758-Modify-activity-date-validation-and-guidance
Sector / Transaction Sector
[Modified to include transaction/sector option in 08-09-2014]
- Sector may now be reported at transaction level instead of activity level. For details see here
- Sector MUST be reported at either activity level or transaction level but not both
- Multiple sectors per transaction can only be reported if they come from different vocabularies
- sector/@code OR transaction/sector/@code is MANDATORY
- If Sector/@vocabulary is not present then the DAC 5-digit vocabulary is assumed
- Use of DAC codes (either 5-digit or 3-digit) is recommended
- for discussion go to http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/22993317-Modify-sector-validation-and-guidance
Technical details about implementing this proposal can be found at: https://github.com/IATI/IATI-Schemas/issues/66