IATI recommends that publishers segment their published activity data into separate files per country or region. There are two man reasons for this:
- It reduces the size of files so that they are easy to download irrespective of bandwidth.
- It allows users of the data to access all data for a particular country via a simple search of the Registry.
But life is not that simple:
- Not all publishers do segment their files.
- IATI has a rule that a publisher should never duplicate the reporting of an activity. So where is a multi-country activity filed?
- In other words, it is not possible to use the registry to download a set of files that contain all the activities for a single country or region.
One solution is for users of the data to bypass the registry and go directly to a data store such as IATI Explorer.
But should we therefore be reviewing our guidance on segmentation and the registration of files?